Monday, March 8, 2010

Of Young and Old

Bumped into my 1st Grade teacher, Mrs. Garcia, the other day while I was doing the paperwork for claiming my academic records from Ateneo de Manila University. She was as bright and sunny as I remember her, despite having already retired from teaching. Funny, and flattering, if I may say so, that she had asked me for directions around the college campus, mistaking me for a student. (Granted, I was wearing wardrobe my son had selected while I was getting dressed, a Superman logo shirt and casual shorts - interesting how Liam has beter fashion sense that I do, at the age of two.) Surprising though that she recalled who I was just by me mentioning my nickname, a skill I unfortunately never developed during my teaching days.

I had joked that Ateneo was kicking me out, and when I saw that she thought I was serious, I clarified that I was asking for my academic credentials to be transferred to the University of the Philippines as part of my law school application - and in completing this, I could no longer request for my records from Ateneo from that point onwards.

As we went along our separate ways, I couldn't help but think on how long ago it was when I was in her classroom - 13 years! Time seems to have been kinder to her than most others.

At the very least, it's been kinder to her than to my student records. It took the Cashier's Office about half an hour to locate my info; even then they had to contact the Registrar's Office to confirm the details. Even so, I think I'll miss those moments, given the hellish stories I've heard of UP's processes.

~ ~ ~

Most certainly, time has been kinder to Mrs. Garcia than it has to Gilbert Remulla. It seems that rather than sharpening his perception of reality, time has dulled it even more. What other reason could there be, other than this, for him to persistently kick the dead horse that is the Hacienda Luisita issue?

In fact, this seems to be his campaign strategy: Bash Noynoy and hopefully look good.

The veracity of his claims aside, there's one glaring problem to this strategy: his own Presidential candidate and bankroller, Manny Villar.

To date, there are 3 major controversies involving Villar: the C-5 road extension, the landgrabbing issue in Bulacan, and a similar road extension project in Iloilo. And now there's the issue of Villar allegedly paying the NPA "revolutionary taxes" to campaign in rural areas where the NPA operate.

Where is Remulla's fiery challenges in the face of these controversies? Where is Remulla's fierce sense of justice? Where is Remulla's stinging exposes and repartees?

Wherever those things are, they're not likely sharing the same space as Villar's bottomless bank accounts.

See, Remulla, it's this simple: You fight for "truth and justice," you fight for truth and justice wherever the fith takes you. At best, you do no shy away from the fight when it takes you to where the money flows everlasting.

The words of Ernesto Maceda ring true today as they did when they wre first uttered: "So young, and yet so corrupt."

No comments:

Post a Comment