Wednesday, April 28, 2010

An Open Letter to King del Rosario

From King del Rosario's Facebook status:
"I know some of u secretly hate me & may not like the idea of me having influenced ur Vote due to my 'constant flooding of Pro-Gibo articles in ur NewsFeed'. But the thing is, ur Vote is very important. Take me out of the equation instead & just think about the Philippines, the Future, & Gibo. U know he deserves to be President. Wag na kayong mahiya at umamin na kasi! Or don't. Just vote for him this May 10."


Dear King,

If it helps ease your guilt, you have convinced me of one thing: that delusions of adequacy tend to warp one's perspective.

First of all, I do not secretly hate you. I do not know you well enough nor do I care enough about you to hate you. And even if I did hate you, I would not make it a secret. So please try to overcome this first delusion of adequacy: the delusion that you have some form of influence over the undecided, so much so that other people might hate you for it. At the very least, you may have some influence over the weak-willed or those already leaning towards Gibo to begin with, and in that respect I congratulate you for swaying them in Gibo's favor, if indeed you have done so. But don't think for a moment that your words will sway those with serious doubts as to the ramifications of Gibo's undying loyalty to PGMA. If anything, we've seen this country under the leadership of one who was highly intelligent and highly skilled - and we got Martial Law as payment for our gullibility.

It is true that my vote counts. Everyone's vote counts. That is a given. But to say "Take me out of the equation instead & just think about the Philippines, the Future, & Gibo" makes such a ridiculous assumption. So now I ask, please discard this second delusion of adequacy: that a Gibo supporter is necessarily one who thinks of the Philippines and its future. No single person or group has a monopoly over nationalism and patriotism, least of all a group supporting a presidential candidate who, in turn, supports a sitting President whose administration is riddled with scams and anomalies.

And finally, do away with this third delusion of adequacy: that a person whom you consider to be deserving of the Presidency is in fact deserving to be President. "U know he deserves to be President?" What I DO know is that the only person who deserves to be President is the one who is elected President in a clean, honest and democratic electoral process. Even so, he or she who is elected must constantly prove themselves to be deserving of the Presidency by their work in public office.

The elections are only the beginning. Regardless of who wins or loses, we ALL have to do our part in ensuring a better future for our country. It is our duty as Filipinos.

But please, leave your delusions at the door.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! I honestly only got to read your post right now thanks to Google Alerts!

    Anyway, Gibo lost. Your Noynoy is now our PNoy. By June 30, Benigno Aquino III would have served one good year as the 15th President of the Republic of the Philippines. I tweeted last night that "although I honestly enjoy poking fun about PNoy, I would honestly prefer if all I could post & tweet are nothing but praises! #PNoy"

    He is your President. He is my President, sadly, whether I like it or not. But I just can’t help but have that “I-told-you-so” smirk each time I read the headlines. Now, people from your camp may still have a lot of reasons to say that PNoy is indeed the President we've all been waiting for. But, to quote you, my dear countryman, please, leave your delusions as well at the door.

    Peace.

    :)

    ReplyDelete